Saturday, March 9, 2019

Mountain Giants

Connections

  • After losing his sword and armor while playing tujeon, Jaeyun needed money and took up a job to slay the Mountain Giant. He (luckily) found a stick, and the giant fled when he discovered Jaeyun was coming armed as such.
  • Lin Fei thrashed the marauding mountain giants, then taught them how to use their size to proper advantage

Context

There are a few notable giants in Chinese mythology, including Kua Fu, Fangfeng, and Xingtian. Some sources say that Kua Fu turned into a mountain range. Xingtian fought for supremacy against the supreme divine beings, and got decapitated, with his head buried in a mountain. He still persisted, though, with his torso becoming his new face.

When coming across these legends and myths from China (or Japan, for that matter, especially with all their yokai), I'll admit my first thought is, "Wow, these are weird and random." But, I stop myself because I recognize that I'm just not familiar with them. I don't understand the full context. After all, how could all this be any weirder than the Greek Titan Kronos swallowing and then regurgitating his own children, or a freaking rainbow bridge that connects our world to Valhalla?

As far as I can tell, there are giants of some sort in Korean mythology, though I haven't yet found a specific "Mountain Giant" of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment